About Me

Image Map

Carry-Over Speech for Older Students

Welcome to the Carry-Over Linky Party!


As an SLP I know that I'm supposed to love working with articulation but my upper level students are so unmotivated that it is sometimes hard to get excited. My students in grades 5-8  have had years of therapy and progress is often slow.   I have found that a major problem is lack of structured carry-over in the students' lives.  

I'm excited to share with you my new system for generalization which provides charting, rubrics, and incentive cards! I'm happy to report that this team approach brings back student focus, motivation, and increased progress!  

Click for my Speech Carry-Over for Older Students Freebie!  

1.  Carry-Over Charting:  It's important to remember these specific areas when using the provided
      charting system.  

a.   Short/Frequent-  Students, parents, and teachers need to work together to identify short but frequent      
     times of the day that they can intentionally focus on the student's articulation.

b.  Cues- The student and SLP should devise a cueing system and share it with the individuals
     who will be working on carry-over with the student.  Some cues may include a throat clear, index
     finger on the lip,  or a simple "hmmm" verbalization, etc.  The cues that I shared are subtle as not to  
     embarrass the student.  

c.  Start/End- The student and team need to know that this daily charting plan is not going to last
    forever.  Setting a date range from 4-8 weeks is typical.  Reassess the student's progress at the end
    date.  You will need to determine if you need to readjust the plan, take time off and revisit , or
    discharge the student.  If discharging, remember that old habits die hard so be sure to screen in a
    month or two to ensure carry-over.

2.  Rubrics: Student-directed rubrics help the students to take ownership of their learning by knowing 
     where they are at and what the overarching goal is.  

3.  You may also like Speech and language Incentive Punch Cards.  

These are a freebie at my store which can be used for a variety of tasks.  They include punch cards for carry-over and self advocacy which are perfect for speech generalization.  For each day of completed carry-over tasks, the student punches the card and is able to "cash-in"for rewards once he/she has 10 holes punched.

Thanks for visiting my blog.  You may also like the following rubrics for social-pragmatic language.  


Head back over to Crazy Speech World for more great ideas for carry-over!  




5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! I can't wait to start using your punch card system next week with my carryover students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Heather! My students' attendance is improving to perfection with these cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rubrics! My kids really respond to using those, so I am excited to try them out! Thank you for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete