About Me

Image Map

Paper, Pencil, and Paper Clip Challenge~ linky party

I must be an SLP geek because I had so much fun creating with this challenge from The Dabbling Speechie.  

I came up with a million ideas for these three props and chose to hook you in by tackling a fishing game.  I simply ripped my paper into 6 cards, wrote fish-themed expressions on each card, punched a hole in the cards with the paper clip tip, and bent my paper clip in the shape of a fish hook. I contemplated making the paper into origami fish, but decided to keep it simple.  Oh, and I even had a page left for data tracking.  
 Students need to hook a fish and deduct the meaning of the expression. It may look like this lesson is quick and only targets one goal, but there are many goals and activities that may be targeted in this fishing game.   Use this game for turn taking, listening, asking questions, story telling, sequencing, fluency, and artic.  Using a variety of skills, the lesson can be expanded to last a 30 minute session.  When targeting figurative language, ask students to give examples of when they were "A fish out of water", etc.  
Short on time, kill two birds with one stone by asking your students to help you make this Fishing for Idioms game.  Creating will not only save time, but also implement skills of following directions, sequencing, and critical thinking.  

Expressions Used: Plenty of fish in the sea, Fish out of water, Fishing for a compliment, Big fish in a small pond, Gone fishin', and Just keep swimming. 

Thank you Dabbing Speechie for this fun challenge.  I can't wait to see some of the other ideas.  Head back over to the linky party.   
Sea you soon...

1 comment: